Looking for a way to lose weight fast? Go on extreme diet to lose weight? No, this is not the correct way to achieve a healthy weight!
Indeed, both weight loss and overall health are affected by your eating patterns. However, weight loss should be done by adopting a healthy and balanced eating method!
211 Healthy Eating Plate is a healthy eating method that everyone could easily follow. It is not just for people who want to lose weight, but it could be for people who want to have a balanced and healthy diet. It is a visual guide that you could easily apply to your every meal whether you are preparing your own meal or dining out.
For people who want to lose weight, you should follow 211 healthy eating methods and stop extreme dieting today! It helps you to lose weight healthily and reduces the possibility of weight loss rebound.
So, let's continue reading to check out the ultimate guide to 211 healthy eating methods! We will share with you the complete guide from the introduction of the healthy eating plate to the principle, so you could understand and master 211 healthy eating methods!
Table of Contents
What is a 211 Healthy Eating Plate?
211 Healthy Eating Plate is created by experts at Harvard School of Public Health and Harvard Medical School. It is modified from MyPlate developed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Service to more specific and detailed recommendations based on the most up-to-date nutrition research .
In general, it is an easy-to-understand guide that divides your plate into a 2:1:1 ratio, to help you adopt a healthy and balanced diet. Imagine a round dinner plate divided evenly into 4 portions. One-half of the plate is taken up by healthy protein, another one-half is carbohydrates and the remaining half of the plate should be filled with vegetables.
By using this visualized method, it is easier for everyone to follow a healthy eating method without the need to calculate calories! Adhering to this guideline helps you to optimize your overall health and maintain your desired body weight!
Protein is an essential nutrient for humans that provides amino acids, which are key building blocks of muscle and other tissues. Protein is found throughout the body including muscles, bone, skin, hair, and nails. Protein plays vital roles to support your daily life including providing energy and supporting the growth and development of body tissues. Read more about the importance of protein in the diet here. Therefore, eating a sufficient amount of protein every day is important.
Follow 3 rules when you choose your protein food sources:
- Choose a healthy protein: fish, poultry, eggs, beans, or nuts.
- Cut down consumption of red meat, especially high-fat portions: pork belly, pork knuckle, beef short ribs and etc.
- Avoid consumption of processed meats: sausage, ham, bacon, jerky and etc.
Carbohydrate is one of the macronutrients essential for the body and it provides the body with energy. The foods you eat are digested and broken down into glucose before entering the bloodstream. When the supply of carbohydrates is insufficient, the body will enter into starvation mode. Your brain will use muscle as a source of energy, which will lead to a decrease in basal metabolism and hence decreasing the effectiveness of weight loss.
Therefore, it is important to consume sufficient carbohydrates every day, but it is recommended to choose good sources of carbohydrates:
- Choose non-refined carbohydrates: Eat real foods with a variety of whole grains such as brown rice, whole-wheat bread, and whole-grain pasta. These carbohydrates are high in fiber and nutrients, low in glycemic index, and could provide satiety.
- Limit refined carbohydrates: Limit refined grains such as white rice, and white bread and limit highly-processed carbohydrates e.g desserts, sugar-sweetened beverages, and potato chips. These carbohydrates are high in calories, low in nutrients and fiber, and it also high in glycemic index which promotes weight gain.
Vegetables contain healthful vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and dietary fiber. Eating plenty of vegetables is one of the simplest ways to improve health and well-being. A diet rich in vegetables and fruits can help lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke, prevent some types of cancer, and lower the risk of eye and digestive problems . Hence it is recommended to eat a variety of vegetables.
Vegetables are rich in fiber which increases satiety, promotes bowel movements, and improves constipation problems. In addition, vegetables are also rich in antioxidants which help improve immunity and reduce inflammation in the body.
Eating non-starchy vegetables such as green leafy vegetables may even promote weight loss . Examples: amaranth, spinach, kale, celery, and watercress.
Aim for colour and variety when you choose vegetables. Remember that potatoes not included as vegetables in the 211 Healthy Eating Plate because it is high in glycemic index which could cause a spike in blood sugar.
What is the correct eating order?
The eating order for every meal or meal sequencing is important. Following the correct eating order could aid in blood sugar regulation, increase satiety, prevent overeating and also help in weight loss!
The ideal order is as follows:
- Vegetable first
- Protein and fats second
- Starches and sugar last
Starting a meal by eating vegetables and protein, and the last with carbohydrates keeps us fuller compare to if we ate the same foods in the reverse order. This is because protein will slow down the release of sugar from carbohydrates into the bloodstream, which prevents a surges of sugar after a meal .
In addition, vegetables are rich in fiber. Soluble fiber will attracts water in the gut, forming a gel, which can slow digestion. This may help prevent blood glucose spikes after eating and increases satiety .
211 Healthy Eating Plate is a healthy and balanced eating method for everyone to apply in everyday meals. For people who wanted to lose weight healthily, 211 healthy eating plates guide you in the food portions, food selection, and also food sequencing, which aid in weight loss without weight rebound! Remember vegetables first, proteins & fats seconds, and finishes with starches and sugar. Start using 211 Healthy Eating Plate as a guide for creating or eating healthy and balanced meals today!
- Harvard Health. (2017, June 5). Healthy Eating Plate. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/healthy-eating-plate
- Vegetables and Fruits. (2021, March 3). The Nutrition Source. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vegetables-and-fruits/
- Bertoia ML, Mukamal KJ, Cahill LE, Hou T, Ludwig DS, Mozaffarian D, Willett WC, Hu FB, Rimm EB. Changes in intake of fruits and vegetables and weight change in United States men and women followed for up to 24 years: analysis from three prospective cohort studies. PLoS medicine. 2015 Sep 22;12(9):e1001878.
- Hodgekiss, A. (2015, June 26). Eating protein and veg BEFORE carbs makes you fuller for longer. Mail Online. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3140313/How-order-eat-food-affects-health-Eating-protein-veg-carbs-makes-fuller-longer-help-diabetics-control-blood-sugar.html
- Fiber. (2022, April 26). The Nutrition Source. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/fiber/